Celeste Hilling started a movement with Skin Authority. Personally, her expertise has helped me learn more about the benefits of Vitamin D for healthy skin and I’m also a fan of the Turmeric & Blueberry for Brightening Beauty Infusion. She’s a go-to resource in the beauty and wellness industry so I was grateful for the opportunity to reconnect with Celeste to discuss what sets Skin Authority apart, the future of skin care and her wisdom. I’m thrilled to share her tips and insight with you on natural beauty, green practices, and putting our best face forward.
Let’s get started as there is a lot to cover!
DMA: What inspired you to go into skin care and start Skin Authority?
CH: My passion driver when creating Skin Authority was to put effective skin-health options and coaching within reach of everyone. Consumers want to like what they see when they look in the mirror. Skin Authority gives people access to amazing products, treatments, and coaching without breaking the bank or wasting their time.
The foundation for Skin Authority was built in an unlikely place – a sports medicine clinic. We formed a partnership that allowed our team to coach athletes in a clinic we opened inside the practice. This experience gave us a tremendous amount of experience in suggesting skin care products and coaching people through a routine.
The clinic became Skin Authority’s living lab, and within a year, they were coaching more than 10,000 people of differing ages, ethnicities and lifestyles. Through personal touches, our team learned that people needed products that really worked, were clean, multi-purpose for busy lifestyles, and they wanted someone to coach them throughout the process. There was no company to fill this need, so we created Skin Authority to do so.
DMA: What do you think is one of the best ways to maintain healthy skin?
CH: The best way to maintain healthy skin is by creating a daily skin care routine. Think of your routine like you think about an exercise regimen. After all, lifting a weight one or two times won’t create muscle definition, while wearing sunscreen only when on vacation is not the plan for building a healthy complexion! Consistency is key for addressing skin concerns and creating a healthy skin routine that becomes part of your lifestyle.
And, I encourage this habit to start early. I coach teenagers (and their parents) to start a daily routine during the teen years. When hormones become a factor, the skin begins to change. Daily sun protection and cleansing are good habits to develop early, as well as treatment products for conditions, such as acne.
DMA: What tips and new habits would you like to share with my readers to enhance their skin care routine?
CH: Just like every other form of self-improvement, a healthy skin lifestyle is a commitment to performing a daily regimen consistently. Skin care is like working out; you can’t just lift a weight once, or only cleanse your skin, and expect to look amazing. There are basic things you need to do daily:
Put your skin on a treadmill by resurfacing. You want your cells to turn over daily and resurfacing is the way to make this happen. I recommend using a natural resurfacing agent nightly, such as glycolic acid, to gently dissolve dead surface skin cells to be replaced with new, plump ones. My favorite is our Resurfacing Accelerator.
- Whether it’s raining, snowing or the sun is shining, wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or 30. UV rays go through glass – car windows, those in your home and office, etc. – so, even if you won’t be outside, you’ll still need to practice safe sun.
Recommendation: Skin Authority Daily Defense Moisturizer SPF 30
- I also love Vitamins C and D. Skin Authority Super-C Serum is my face antioxidant and it’s an amazing multi-tasker. The Serum stimulates collagen production and helps absorb UV damage. I suggest putting it on in the mornings under sunscreen. Now to D, it’s a happy hormone and makes skin really bright. I use Skin Authority VitaD Fortified Topical Elixir daily for a natural, simple approach to D sufficiency. » Simplify with three to four steps in the morning and at night. In the morning, I suggest using a mild cleanser, an anti-oxidant such as Vitamin C, and sunscreen moisturizer. Before bed, use resurfacing ingredients such as AHAs and retinols, in addition to restorative peptides.
DMA: What’s one of your biggest life lessons so far and do you use it in your work?
CH: Forgiveness is my biggest life lesson. Holding onto the weight of things that didn’t work puts you in a place where you can’t be happy. In business and personal lives, forgiveness is not a one-time activity; you have to think about it daily. You have to forgive yourself, too, and give everyone the benefit of a doubt. Forgiveness is one of the most powerful tools you have.
DMA: Tell us more about skin-care coaching at Skin Authority.
CH: Skin Authority redefines the beauty shopping experience by putting a skin care expert when and where people shop to help them select the best product for their unique needs. Skin Authority’s virtual coaching system, which includes the My Skin Authority App, are game-changers in how people shop for and experience beauty. My Skin Authority is the first free, interactive app enabling a live session with a certified skin coach.
The coaches give personalized guidance when and where the consumer needs it, including at-home; in a spa, salon or store; while traveling, etc. As today’s consumer yearns for personalization, Skin Authority’s coaches are trained to listen to not only the needs, but the emotional connection of the shopper in a way that a database can’t effectively personalize the experience.
Accessible 24/7 and from anywhere, My Skin Authority gives users access to skin care expertise via phone, live chat, video chat, e-mail, or a scheduled call back. My Skin Authority also features the ‘Beauty Workout Zone’ educational blog and several videos covering important skin care concerns such as sun safety. My Skin Authority is a free download at the Apple App Store and on Google play.
DMA: What else sets Skin Authority apart?
CH: Through its Clean Skin Care™ approach to product design, Skin Authority offers a complete line of skin care products for face and body that delivers results and lasting changes without the use of parabens, dyes, added fragrances, microbeads, or cruelty to animals.
- SGF-4 Technology™ includes the brand’s star product – Wrinkle Reversing Serum. The technology taps the power of four completely natural body proteins clinically proven to restore the body’s ability to generate healthy, new skin cells and strengthen its immune defense against further deterioration.
- VitaD Technology™ – Vitamin D is a fundamental building block of essential health and the VitaD Fortified Illuminating DUO infuses Vitamin D health and beauty from the inside out. The DUO offers people a first-of-its kind whole food source of Vitamin D for a complete ‘nutrition sandwich’ of an external Vitamin D Elixir and a powder which adds a daily dose of Vitamin D in any food or drink you consume.
- Pioneered by Skin Authority, AOX Technology™ is the technique of combining groups of vitamins and antioxidants together to deliver a multiplier effect over individual ingredients. This technology is found throughout our product line to accelerate results.
- Dry Finish Technology™ is a product formulation technique that ensures products go on clear and absorb easily, leaving the skin feeling smooth, soft, and dry to the touch. This technology is particularly useful for sun protection products that typically have a reputation for feeling oily or greasy after use.
DMA: What’s the future of skin care? Are you working on any other cutting edge products that you can let us know about?
CH: Technology is transforming the skin care industry in every way: product development; communication with the consumer; and the way we, as a lifestyle brand, interact versus just transact. There is huge opportunity for brands that are current and relevant to the way consumers are living their lives. My background and passion is technology, so I’m leading Skin Authority to continue being a leader in innovation and consumer connection. At Skin Authority, we are passionate about unleashing the self confidence that comes from feeling great about how you look.
DMA: What are a few of the top spas using Skin Authority?
CH: Omni La Costa Resort & Spa is a new partner and is our neighbor in Carlsbad. Kohler Waters Spa in Wisconsin was our first partner and is now the longest-running; we are also in their locations near Chicago and in Scotland. Great partnerships with St. Regis San Francisco, The Oaks at Ojai, and Little Palm Island in the Florida Keys. We also have long-term relationships with top day spa chains Gadabout SalonSpas in Arizona and Gene Juarez in Washington State.
DMA: What’s your biggest challenge in your work?
CH: Finding more hours in the day. Beauty and skin care are such dynamic industries, so I’m constantly reading and learning. Staying on the leading edge is a full-time commitment.
DMA: What is most rewarding to you in your field?
CH: I’m in the self-esteem business. When we can help people feel better about themselves when they look in the mirror, that’s the most rewarding.
DMA: What do you do for fun, relaxation, etc.?
CH: Working out is how I relax. I make time for fitness and currently love FitWall. Living in Southern California, we are blessed with great weather and fantastic places to hike and run.
Follow Skin Authority on Instagram | Twitter | Facebook
I hope you’ve enjoyed our journey and will take a look at Skin Authority, connect with one of their skin care coaches, or take a look at their results-driven products.
Photo credit: Skin Authority