Tuesday, February 9th, 2010 | Adventure, Canyon Ranch, Miraval Spa, Red Mountain Spa | 4 Comments
For many, Valentine’s Day is the most romantic day of the year. We lavish our loved ones with gifts of chocolate, lingerie, jewelry, or a romantic dinner. And there may also be a weekend getaway involved or a romantic couples massage. All continue to be sought after and certainly any gal (or guy) looks forward to the the 14th of February.
Below is Mindful Adventures Top 10 list for ‘Really Last Minute’ ideas forValentine’s Day…some travel, some spa, diamonds, dinner and love, always love! And, they’re useful for any other special day where you want to show your loved one how much you care. (** Move way down for a bonus idea!)
1. A Destination Spa: Yes, this is number one because there’s so much wrapped into a place such as this.
Heart Healthy dining, Heart pumping Fitness, an intimate Couples Massage, and so many other activities you can do together. Some destination spas offer sessions to enhance and deepen your relationship and intimacy. And, the best part of this heart-felt gift is that it can be given on Valentine’s Day and taken when you’re both available to travel, either way, it’s sure to be a gift that will last long after February 14th.
2. Wine or an evening at a Wine Bar - There are so many great wines available from around the world and an evening at a Wine Bar where you can enjoy a ‘Flight’ of wines is so much fun and romantic as well. Anything two people can do together can be romantic! One of my personal favorites is Cline’s Cashmere and I love it because it’s a blend of Grenache, Syrah, and Mourvedre and is so smooth and luxurious. It offers a long finish and you can pick up the lingering flavors of cherries and chocolate. Cline Cellars also sponsors Breast Cancer Network of Strength.
3. FlexFlops – For those of you not in the know yet about this fabulous item, here’s the skinny. They’re compact footwear! Whether you’re going for a pedicure and want to use your own flip-flops, or you’re traveling to your favorite wellness spa and don’t want to walk barefoot going through airport security (yes, practical as well), or just want a cute gift (for Valentine’s Day), this is something that will be appreciated. It’s one of those Aha! gifts. They also come with a matching pouch and different designs are available.
4. Dark Chocolate – Yes, well, chocolate is always going to be on any Top 10 gift list I do due to the health benefits. Dark chocolate, with higher cocoa levels, is best due to the phytochemicals so it’s heart healthy! If you’re going to give chocolate (or buy for yourself), make it dark chocolate! Dark chocolate is so luscious, silky and smooth when it melts in your mouth and you’re doing something good for yourself…even one piece of dark chocolate a day can be beneficial. A couple that I like include Bissinger and Ghiradelli Chocolates. (Check back here soon for more Dark Chocolate ideas!)
5. Golf and Spa – These just go together. And this list isn’t just about what to give the guy in your life, it’s about what to give your gal and with Golf and Spa, you’ll both be happy (see, this can go either way…who is the golfer, perhaps both of you!) . This part of the list could get rather long with all of the locations I’d love to include, so here are just a couple (more to come soon on this topic).
Ojai Valley Inn & Spa is offering golfers a chance to improve their game (and who isn’t looking for golf-improvement). This event is being held March 27th – 28th, 2010. It’s a two-day golf program an includes room accommodations, golf school and lunch. It’s being led by Jeff Johnson, the Director of Instruction, PGA Tour mental coach and author of Zen Golf and Dr. Joe Parent.
And for an east coast option, consider the Kiawah Resort at Kiawah Island in South Carolina (a few miles from Charleston, SC). Nothing could be finer, than going to Carolina! And, if you’re considering something for Valentine’s weekend, there are a few packages to consider including The Beach and Breakfast Romance Package ($289 per night) includes luxury accommodations, rose petal turndown service, and breakfast for two. If you’d like to travel later, than consider giving on Valetine’s weekend and enjoying later. This resort is one of our country’s top resorts and has five championship golf courses, including The Ocean Course (soon to be host of the 2012 PGA championships) and a top-rated spa (par for the course!).
6. Romantic Dinner for Two - Amore! And, Ristorante Cafe Cortina in Farmington Hills, Michigan says it best. This is by far one of the best Italian restaurants in the country (not only my opinion, also in LA CUCINA ITALIANA magazine and Food Network’s Best of…Pasta). The Risotto I enjoyed (devoured) was amazing…the best I ever had. An intimate dinner at Cafe Cortina is like dining in Rome, Italy and they get 5 stars from me (Thanks to Adrian, the owner, and his team!)! If you’re not in Michigan, take a look at their online market (not the same, but an option until you’re in Michigan!). And, when you can get to Michigan, this is a must-do dining event. Bellisimo!
7. “I Love You” stones - If you’re looking for something unique, this is a great idea. I came across them while looking at Red Envelope (cool gifts that are unique and personal) and I think they’re great. Who wouldn’t love finding this in their pocket or under the pillow. One side says “I love you” and the other side has a saying such as, “…for always getting my jokes,” “…for being so giving,” “…for your honesty,” and more. As of this writing, they’re not available for delivery until March 19, 2010, however I just had to include them. They’re great for a birthday or anniversary as well.
8. Diamonds are (still) a Girls Best Friend! – There had to be something with Diamonds included here and this is a simple and beautiful piece of jewelry (and affordable). It’s also from Red Envelope and it’s the Diamond Heart Necklace. It’s a sterling silver heart pendant and is channel-set with 33 full-cut diamonds.
9. Dinner at Home! – With temperatures as cold as they’ve been and record high amounts of
snow in the mid-Atlantic, perhaps dinner at home is sounding even better for this Valentine’s Day. Spend less time on making dinner and more time enjoying it by getting most of the ingredients delivered. Check out Al Dente pasta options and their Wine and Connoisseur basket. It includes 3 bags of Al Dente pasta, 2 jars of Sauce and more. Add your favorite bottle of wine (see # 3 above for an idea), a loaf of Italian bread, and a your favorite music (perhaps Andrea Bocelli’s Romanza).
10. Celtic Woman – Songs from the Heart Concert – Their music is beautiful, inspiring, full of hope and touches your heart in so many ways. There’s a feeling you get when you listen to Celtic Woman sing and going to one of their concerts is truly awe-inspiring as their melodic songs touch your soul and open your spirit to feel more love. It’s how I can best describe how their music touches me. They’re currently touring the United States and there are many opportunities to experience their music. Listen!
Final notes: I hope you find something helpful on Mindful Adventures Experiential List of Valentine’s Day ideas for your significant other, family member or for yourself. Share your love and Happy Valentine’s Day!
You found it!
11. A couples massage (or solo massage) – There’s still time to get an appointment for Saturday, Feb. 14 at many day spas (as well as resorts). Check with your favorite spa and if you don’t have one, find one and take time to relax and rejuvenate. If you’re in southeastern Virginia, check out JonBre’ European Spa; if you’re in New York City, check out the spa at Mandarin Oriental Spa; if you’re in Utah, check out Golden Door at Dakota Mountain Lodge and if you’re in Sedona, AZ, check out Mii Amo Spa (at Enchanment Resort). These are just a few from east to west. For an extensive list, visit ISPA (International Spa Association).
- March 2013
- February 2013
- July 2012
- May 2012
- February 2012
- December 2011
- August 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008