Archive for February, 2010
Saturday, February 27th, 2010 | Adventure, Destination Spas, Rancho la Puerta, healthy living | No Comments
If you’ve been to Rancho la Puerta, then you have a pretty good idea of how even more amazing it is to be there during the Spring. Flora and fauna in bloom, warmer days, and that great feeling you get when you’re active outdoors. And to add to the excitement, Rancho la Puerta is offering 10% savings on their Ranchera and Hacienda room types and 20% savings on their Villas. The best value is the Jr. Villa and my favorite area of Villa Sol. I have such great memories of being at Rancho la Puerta. Invigorating days and relaxing evenings. Butterflies in flight, long strolls by the vineyards and the warmth of the afternoon sun remind me of being mindful and living in the moment.
My favorite hike is the Organic hike and I often think about getting to the top of that hill and walking through the garden. For me, it was like the ‘Wizard of Oz’ when it went from black and white to color. The beauty of that area is something to see, especially after this harsh winter. It also reminds me of patience and the knowing that any seeds that we plant, and yes, this is a metaphor for life as well, will bud and flourish given nourishment, patience and time.
So, if you’re looking for something different to do this spring or want to return to an old favorite, take a look at Rancho la Puerta - it may be what you’ve been looking for.
E-mail me at email@example.com with any questions or assistance. I’ll even give you a spa gift when you make your reservation with me.
To your health and wellness!
Tuesday, February 16th, 2010 | healthy living | No Comments
We’ve all heard the saying that “laughter is the best medicine,” and we can pretty much agree that we feel better when we laugh. Afterall, it’s pretty difficult to be upset and angry when you’re laughing! We feel lighter and laughing everyday is something we can do for our health. It helps relieve tension and uplifts us. And, while I’d love to be at my favorite spa or traveling; laughter and doing something to make me smile is the next best way to just ‘let go.’ I’m sure you can add to the many other reasons why laughter is beneficial to your own well-being.
As I was finding myself in need of a laugh today to help manage some of the stress I was carrying around, I took a few minutes and looked over one of my favorite sites. SimpleTruths.com offers inspirational books and DVDs to uplift and inspire and while looking today I came across a cute little book that comes with a short movie/DVD and beautiful music.
It’s called ‘Laugher is an Instant Vacation’ and it is quite cute, so if you want to take a minute, give yourself the gift of laughter and enjoy a few moments ‘away’ on your own instant vacation!
A laugh a day (or several laughs) can be beneficial. Have you laughed yet?
Tuesday, February 9th, 2010 | Adventure, Canyon Ranch, Miraval Spa, Red Mountain Spa | 4 Comments
For many, Valentine’s Day is the most romantic day of the year. We lavish our loved ones with gifts of chocolate, lingerie, jewelry, or a romantic dinner. And there may also be a weekend getaway involved or a romantic couples massage. All continue to be sought after and certainly any gal (or guy) looks forward to the the 14th of February.
Below is Mindful Adventures Top 10 list for ‘Really Last Minute’ ideas forValentine’s Day…some travel, some spa, diamonds, dinner and love, always love! And, they’re useful for any other special day where you want to show your loved one how much you care. (** Move way down for a bonus idea!)
1. A Destination Spa: Yes, this is number one because there’s so much wrapped into a place such as this.
Heart Healthy dining, Heart pumping Fitness, an intimate Couples Massage, and so many other activities you can do together. Some destination spas offer sessions to enhance and deepen your relationship and intimacy. And, the best part of this heart-felt gift is that it can be given on Valentine’s Day and taken when you’re both available to travel, either way, it’s sure to be a gift that will last long after February 14th.
2. Wine or an evening at a Wine Bar - There are so many great wines available from around the world and an evening at a Wine Bar where you can enjoy a ‘Flight’ of wines is so much fun and romantic as well. Anything two people can do together can be romantic! One of my personal favorites is Cline’s Cashmere and I love it because it’s a blend of Grenache, Syrah, and Mourvedre and is so smooth and luxurious. It offers a long finish and you can pick up the lingering flavors of cherries and chocolate. Cline Cellars also sponsors Breast Cancer Network of Strength.
3. FlexFlops – For those of you not in the know yet about this fabulous item, here’s the skinny. They’re compact footwear! Whether you’re going for a pedicure and want to use your own flip-flops, or you’re traveling to your favorite wellness spa and don’t want to walk barefoot going through airport security (yes, practical as well), or just want a cute gift (for Valentine’s Day), this is something that will be appreciated. It’s one of those Aha! gifts. They also come with a matching pouch and different designs are available.
4. Dark Chocolate – Yes, well, chocolate is always going to be on any Top 10 gift list I do due to the health benefits. Dark chocolate, with higher cocoa levels, is best due to the phytochemicals so it’s heart healthy! If you’re going to give chocolate (or buy for yourself), make it dark chocolate! Dark chocolate is so luscious, silky and smooth when it melts in your mouth and you’re doing something good for yourself…even one piece of dark chocolate a day can be beneficial. A couple that I like include Bissinger and Ghiradelli Chocolates. (Check back here soon for more Dark Chocolate ideas!)
5. Golf and Spa – These just go together. And this list isn’t just about what to give the guy in your life, it’s about what to give your gal and with Golf and Spa, you’ll both be happy (see, this can go either way…who is the golfer, perhaps both of you!) . This part of the list could get rather long with all of the locations I’d love to include, so here are just a couple (more to come soon on this topic).
Ojai Valley Inn & Spa is offering golfers a chance to improve their game (and who isn’t looking for golf-improvement). This event is being held March 27th – 28th, 2010. It’s a two-day golf program an includes room accommodations, golf school and lunch. It’s being led by Jeff Johnson, the Director of Instruction, PGA Tour mental coach and author of Zen Golf and Dr. Joe Parent.
And for an east coast option, consider the Kiawah Resort at Kiawah Island in South Carolina (a few miles from Charleston, SC). Nothing could be finer, than going to Carolina! And, if you’re considering something for Valentine’s weekend, there are a few packages to consider including The Beach and Breakfast Romance Package ($289 per night) includes luxury accommodations, rose petal turndown service, and breakfast for two. If you’d like to travel later, than consider giving on Valetine’s weekend and enjoying later. This resort is one of our country’s top resorts and has five championship golf courses, including The Ocean Course (soon to be host of the 2012 PGA championships) and a top-rated spa (par for the course!).
6. Romantic Dinner for Two - Amore! And, Ristorante Cafe Cortina in Farmington Hills, Michigan says it best. This is by far one of the best Italian restaurants in the country (not only my opinion, also in LA CUCINA ITALIANA magazine and Food Network’s Best of…Pasta). The Risotto I enjoyed (devoured) was amazing…the best I ever had. An intimate dinner at Cafe Cortina is like dining in Rome, Italy and they get 5 stars from me (Thanks to Adrian, the owner, and his team!)! If you’re not in Michigan, take a look at their online market (not the same, but an option until you’re in Michigan!). And, when you can get to Michigan, this is a must-do dining event. Bellisimo!
7. “I Love You” stones - If you’re looking for something unique, this is a great idea. I came across them while looking at Red Envelope (cool gifts that are unique and personal) and I think they’re great. Who wouldn’t love finding this in their pocket or under the pillow. One side says “I love you” and the other side has a saying such as, “…for always getting my jokes,” “…for being so giving,” “…for your honesty,” and more. As of this writing, they’re not available for delivery until March 19, 2010, however I just had to include them. They’re great for a birthday or anniversary as well.
8. Diamonds are (still) a Girls Best Friend! – There had to be something with Diamonds included here and this is a simple and beautiful piece of jewelry (and affordable). It’s also from Red Envelope and it’s the Diamond Heart Necklace. It’s a sterling silver heart pendant and is channel-set with 33 full-cut diamonds.
9. Dinner at Home! – With temperatures as cold as they’ve been and record high amounts of
snow in the mid-Atlantic, perhaps dinner at home is sounding even better for this Valentine’s Day. Spend less time on making dinner and more time enjoying it by getting most of the ingredients delivered. Check out Al Dente pasta options and their Wine and Connoisseur basket. It includes 3 bags of Al Dente pasta, 2 jars of Sauce and more. Add your favorite bottle of wine (see # 3 above for an idea), a loaf of Italian bread, and a your favorite music (perhaps Andrea Bocelli’s Romanza).
10. Celtic Woman – Songs from the Heart Concert – Their music is beautiful, inspiring, full of hope and touches your heart in so many ways. There’s a feeling you get when you listen to Celtic Woman sing and going to one of their concerts is truly awe-inspiring as their melodic songs touch your soul and open your spirit to feel more love. It’s how I can best describe how their music touches me. They’re currently touring the United States and there are many opportunities to experience their music. Listen!
Final notes: I hope you find something helpful on Mindful Adventures Experiential List of Valentine’s Day ideas for your significant other, family member or for yourself. Share your love and Happy Valentine’s Day!
You found it!
11. A couples massage (or solo massage) – There’s still time to get an appointment for Saturday, Feb. 14 at many day spas (as well as resorts). Check with your favorite spa and if you don’t have one, find one and take time to relax and rejuvenate. If you’re in southeastern Virginia, check out JonBre’ European Spa; if you’re in New York City, check out the spa at Mandarin Oriental Spa; if you’re in Utah, check out Golden Door at Dakota Mountain Lodge and if you’re in Sedona, AZ, check out Mii Amo Spa (at Enchanment Resort). These are just a few from east to west. For an extensive list, visit ISPA (International Spa Association).
Friday, February 5th, 2010 | Adventure, Challenge Course, Miraval Spa, Zipline | No Comments
Have you heard about the new Zipline at Miraval Resort and Spa? It’s the only destination spa with a Zipline and it’s gaining popularity for Miraval’s guests (and those seeking a more mindful adventure in their life).
Miraval guests can take in amazing views from the 40-foot high platform as they soar across 1400 feet of desert terrain. “It’s the best view of Miraval,” said Coral, who was on her fifth Miraval adventure. “What a thrill! I wanted to go again.”
A new addition to Miraval Spa’s Challenge Course Activities, the Zipline is more than a thrill for some adventure seekers, it’s about personal development as well. Miraval offers a nurturing environment for guests to face fears and self-doubt and this is one experience that enables guests to realize their courageous ability to overcome challenges and to trust.
The Zipline also reflects Miraval’s philosophy about Mindfulness. Nothing matters except for the present moment, especially as you’re safely harnessed and soaring above the desert.
Break free of the ties that bind you and consider one of the activities at Miraval Spa.
Did you know?
Miraval Spa is offering a 5-th night* free promotion
through 2010. It’s the best value for a Miraval Spa adventure.
* Applies to Deluxe Room category or higher.
- March 2013
- February 2013
- July 2012
- May 2012
- February 2012
- December 2011
- August 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008